A construction worker who was severely injured when a nail from a nail gun became embedded in his head was awarded $3.4 million from a Hartford, Connecticut jury.
Jerry Crutchfield, 51, of Hartford had sued toolmaker Stanley Works and Home Depot, which sold the nail gun, claiming they were partly liable for the injuries he sustained Feb. 3, 2003.
The jury stated that Crutchfield was 55% liable for his injuries because he was the one to fire the nail gun into metal instead of a wood surface. This action caused the nail to backfire at him. But nevertheless, the jury ordered Stanley Works and Home Depot to pay $3.4 million for their percentage of the liability. The two companies have not decided if they will appeal the verdict yet.
The assistant general counsel for Stanley disagrees with the verdict. He stated that the nail gun met industry standards and is used every day without injuries. Also, the case for the nail gun warns consumers to follow all instructions.
Crutchfield was doing carpentry in a church when the incident occurred. The 3 in. nail went through his cheek and into his brain, which has partially paralyzed him and causes him to have seizures.
If you have been injured by the Ortho Evra birth control patch, contact our birth control patch lawyers today for a consultation.
The maker of the widely used Ortho Evra birth control patch, Johnson & Johnson, is trying to prevent negative attention over its dangerous contraceptive by purchasing the rights to domain names like Orthoevrakills.com and Deathbypatch.com.
In late 2005 when the Food and Drug Administration urged that a heightened warning alerting users to the risk of potentially fatal blood clot and stroke be added to the drug’s label. In February 2006, a study showed that women using the Ortho Evra birth control patch faced double the risk of blood clots than women who use oral contraceptives. The increased risk is due to the fact that the patch exposes users to higher levels of hormones–60 percent more–than oral medications.
Johnson & Johnson purchased and registered the domain names but is not using them. The move was strictly an attempt to preempt critics of Ortho Evra from attracting negative attention to the dangerous drug.
Spin Master Toys of Toronto, Canada in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall for over 4 million packages of Aqua Dots because the coating applied on these toy beads breaks down in the stomachs of toddlers into GHB, the notorious ‘date-rape’ drug.
Approximately 200 people have filed lawsuits against Home Depot and the manufacturer of Stand ‘n Seal grout sealer after falling ill from using Stand ‘n Seal. People are complaining of severe breathing problems after using the grout sealer, including chemical pneumonia. One man, Dr. Walter Friedel, said he became so ill he was in the intensive care unit for 4 days and was on oxygen for 4 months. He still has difficulty walking up flights of stairs and hills.
Continue reading “Stand ‘n Seal Grout Sealer Linked to Chemical Pneumonia”
The nation’s largest maker of implanted heart devices, Medtronic, said Sunday that it is urging doctors to stop using a crucial component because it is prone to a defect that has apparently been linked to five deaths and has malfunctioned in hundreds of patients.
The faulty component is an electrical “lead,” or a wire that connects the heart to a defibrillator, a device that shocks faltering hearts back into normal rhythm. The company is urging all of the roughly 235,000 patients with the lead, known as the Sprint Fidelis, to see their doctors to make sure it has not developed a fracture that can cause the device to misread heart-rhythm data.
Such a malfunction can cause the device to either deliver an unnecessary electrical jolt or fail to provide a life-saving one to a patient in need. In most cases, the defibrillators can be reprogrammed without surgery to minimize the likelihood of faulty shocks.
Replacing leads on a heart device like a defibrillator is considered by experts to be far more dangerous than replacing the device itself. As a result, doctors said that patients are better off leaving the lead in place except in those instances where it has ceased to function.
Medtronic estimated that about 2.3 percent of patients with the Fidelis lead, or between 4,000 to 5,000 people, will experience a lead fracture within 30 months of implantation. Those patients will need to have the lead replaced, experts said. Read more here