What You Can Do It’s not easy for consumers to protect themselves against such errors, but there are steps you can take:
- Read the prescription your doctor gives you aloud. Ask the physician to confirm it.
- Verify the dosages and drug names with your doctor.
- Before going to the pharmacy, write down the dosage and drug names.
- Go to a reputable pharmacy, one that has more than a single pharmacist working with clerk and technician helpers. You can contact your state pharmacy board for information. Some will tell you if a pharmacist has been disciplined in the past.
- When you pick up the prescription, check the labels and make sure the dosages and drug names match what you have written down.